Thursday, November 13, 2008

Call of Duty: World at War

It's rare that I'll devote a post to another game. I'm not sure if I ever have, in fact. Nonetheless, I was walking through town yesterday to discover Call of Duty: World At War was for sale at my local EB Games. I picked up a copy and sat down to play the game.

I didn't realise, nor intend, to play it for the entire day!

Ok, so we're back to the COD4 style leveling. Bit of a shame. Perks are still there as well, but I guess I'm just a COD1/2 fan of "each team has a unique set of weapons," instead of the unlocking, leveling and everyone using everything all-teams-are-the-same approach. Regardless, they have done a nice job on these aspects of the game. I suppose.

People argue it's just COD4 reskinned. Well, it uses the same engine but it's set in World War Two, I guess it pretty much is COD4 reskinned, with new maps, new weapons and a different gameplay. Yeah, there's a lot going for COD5 even if it uses the COD4 engine. Reminds me of Colonization - yes it uses the CIV4 engine but it's a very, very different game.

I heard someone say that the single player was not the selling point for COD5, but it's multiplayer capabilities. If this is true then Treyarch have hit the jackpot because you can play singleplayer in co-op mode with your online buddies, nullifying any bad comments about the SP as you and your team whoop some serious butt. It's a lot of fun, let me assure you, when four of you are on Ventrilo and progressing through the campaign together.

Actual online MP is great too. The game modes are pretty standard but I find the maps are excellent - well, maybe not Dome, but hey everyone has their own opinions. Visually stunning and well planned out, the maps provide some great fights between opponents. So, online MP gets a big thumbs up from me as well.

If you're looking for a game which will provide you with lots of fun, with 'spawn, kill, spawn, kill' type FPS action, this should be considered. I personally had a great time playing it yesterday, and in between my WWIIOL addiction will be finding time to play COD:WAW as often as I can. It runs well, it plays well, and it's a tonne of fun.

Oh, and did I mention there are Zombies? Yup; Zombies!

No comments: