Friday, October 03, 2008

Kills, Kempen, Krefeld and a 'Kreigsmarine CinC'

Tonight I had fun like I've not had for a long time. Not only fun, but a few missions like I've not had for just about as long - the kills were flowing like the taps during happy hour at the local! It was a great day not only for me, but for WWIIOL sportsmanship also, with the sides overcoming an issue bilaterally; impressive by any measure. To cap the night off, it was an alliteration like no others.

So I log in and we've got a newer HC officer running the show - Seamus13. And by running the show, I really mean it. He had everything planned to a tee, along with Bohratom and Manecoon among other HC. Now, my 'view' on HC is not that it's a static duty, a militaristic chain of command, like the real army. No, I prefer a team, a group of people escaping from the 'real world' to have a few hours online with people who like to play this game. Team was certainly the best way to describe what was happening tonight, and a people escaping for fun - that was very apparent. Regardless of the 'banging your head against a wall' type situation we almost always end up with where one side only needs a few more towns, but how to get them, etc? tonight was ridiculously fun.

Krefeld and Kills go hand in hand, at least for me. What was a fun little operation turned into spawning, running North East from the MG spawnable to a factory, and then into the building to the East of it - a white coloured house type building - where many EI and I fought it out for supremacy of that most fashionable address with views out into the fields, and into the Army Barracks. With impressive floor space and open planned living, the numerous windows provided equally impressive LMG and Rifle positions, while the spacious three levels saw an increased ability to hide and sneak with my Axis counterparts. The house produce for me two 10 kill missions, a 7 kill one, and many 2, 3 and 4 kill missions. Needless to say my kill death ratio rose dramatically; this location is one I must invest more time into, I feel! You know what they say, location, location, location!

Kempen and Kreigsmarine CinC too fit nicely together, and this is where I can tie in an aspect of sportsmanship within a game. Don't forget the bilateral stuff to! Well, Kempen is an interesting little town West of Krefeld. We discovered, albeit too late, that the Northern depot doesn't actually exist in the game world. Yes, it's on the map and counts towards ownership, but it doesn't appear in game. In its place an impressive new square can be found. Location, location, location? Anyhow, after .reporting, posting and pming, we had to pull the AO and head elsewhere. There was still a danger Axis could move in, and it severely hampered our efforts to link our British Division back up. With everything Allied, the town should have been Allied too, but alas for that depot. Nonetheless, what can one do? Laugh, and move on, that's what! However, it was necessary to drop the Axis a PM and let them know, but who would be on, I asked?

Eyeshank, that's who :-) GHC's 'Kreisgmarine CinC' responded quickly, looked at the situation, and together agreed the Axis wouldn't move in and Allies not AO again until CRS had a proper look at the situation and got back to us. A very sportsman like, honourable and noble decision, which I humbly thank Eyeshank for. It's occurrences like this which make such a positive game culture, and make World War Two Online what it is for me. The sense of actually belonging to a community like no other, where people are genuinely intent on assisting the game, and seeing it grow. An amazing reflection on CRS as a company, I feel.

To cap off - no pun intended - the night, I began my alliteration; Tomba's terrifying terrific transport. I grabbed a Ju52, put messages across the Ops channel, and before long had a cast of thousands (ok, maybe 10 or so players) to drop at various targets across the map to 'softcap' our way back to ours lines. It was a great time as we flew, making jokes with the players and HC alike, chatting on TS and generally just enjoying the game to the fullest. I truly hope our Axis counterparts do that too - take time to step back, relax, and just play the game for what it is.

After all, the last mission is what it's all about, right? Fun; not serious HC positions, militaristic simulations of a chain of command, but people getting together to escape the real world for a bit with a bunch of people who all want to have fun. So, my advice to you is the same - get out there, kick back on TS and in game, lighten up, have a laugh, and enjoy this great game!

No comments: